Tuesday, July 22, 2014

More Pukas, More Rain

Work has been pretty similar to the last two posts. A lot of tabbing in short bulkheads and filling and sanding the interior cabin sides.

 Then the other day I attached the small port template from Newfound Metals and cut out all 8 small port openings. There was a day of filling with epoxy the voids exposed by the cutting, and fairing that after curing.










On Saturday Mike Cheong, Mary Ellen Braly, and Susan came down and kibitzed from the adjoining dock while I positioned templates for the large port cut-outs. There was surprisingly little difference of opinion on the locations. I'm kicking myself for missing the opportunity to get pictures of that.

Yesterday I burned through 7 jigsaw blades and cut out the openings. It took almost all day. Fourteen layers of X-mat and epoxy make a formidable obstruction for cutting tools. I tried a mini circle saw with a metal-cutting blade, but that created too much heat and smoke for my comfort level. Memories of the duct tape residue removal adventure. In the end, the big jig saw and patience won out.
Not as attractive as the well-proportioned 4-foot long glass windows were, but definitely saltier.













As I was writing these words at 06:30, some large raidrops spattered on the roof, and then a loud, long rumble of thunder. More thunder than we've heard in a year and a half. I looked at the radar and there was a large green blob headed for San Rafael from the south. I boogied down there with windshield wipers going - actually enough rain to wash the car - and applied tape to the port openings. Of course, this precipitation is due to my cutting more holes in the boat. Nice to know Kuewa and I are continuing to end the drought.

Next up is painting the interior and exterior cabin sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment